Motor Insurance for non-EU Vehicles

Any holder of a motor vehicle registered in a third country (not a member state of EEA) is obliged, on entering or during its stay on the territory of EEA (European Economic Area) to conclude, prior to the crossing of the frontier, a contract of insurance called Frontier Insurance.

The temporary Frontier Insurance is a motor insurance policy against third party liability only & usually does not cover own damages, driver’s injuries, theft, natural disasters, etc.

The EEA* includes Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Cyprus, Croatia, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Great Britain, Greece, Ireland, Iceland, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Norway, The Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Czech Republic, Slovak Republic, Romania, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Hungary.

Normally, the Frontier Insurance policy is issued together with a Green card certificate. Always make sure that you comply with the Schengen Area restrictions & rules and you stick to the dates.

Typically, but not exclusively, the necessary documents to verify the above conditions are your passport and your vehicle’s registration (log book, carte-grise, title, etc.) and should be under the same owner.

Officially, we do not issue insurances & policies. However, we can guide you through FREE OF CHARGE before your arrival in Greece or EU and put you in contact with several companies that do operate as agents & can issue third party border insurance policies & Green card certificates.

*: The EEA includes EU countries and also Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway. It allows them to be part of the EU’s single market. Switzerland is neither an EU nor EEA member but is part of the single market – this means Swiss nationals have the same rights to live and work in the UK as other EEA nationals.